In today’s world, it’s very easy to find things that cause stress in our lives. In today’s hotly charged political environment with discussions of safe spaces on college campuses, what is one to do. Stress and anxiety can be alleviated with chiropractic care regardless of political affiliation.
Additional causes of stress in our lives today include some of the following. The pressure at work, loan troubles, health and wellness dilemmas, relationship troubles, media overload as well as lots of various other aspects of life can stress us out. We also produce anxiety internally. This can be caused by dietary habits and other factors such as lack of sleep.
More than three-fourths of Americans face the physical symptoms of stress and anxiety, and one third identify their anxiety degrees as extreme. Every chiropractor sees clients that have had their health and wellbeing devastated by persistent tension, stress, and anxiety.
Whether emotional or environmental, tension and anxiety create damage to the body and soft tissue. It disrupts can destroy our quality of life and can result in lasting problems such as spinal misalignment. Stress and anxiety can be a contributing factor in a lot of modern diseases. Some experts estimate it makes up half the country’s healthcare-related expenses according to multiple sources.
Regardless of the cause, stress, and anxiety start a fight-or-flight response that impacts virtually every component of the body. Negative thoughts caused by stress and anxiety can elevate the heart rate, increases blood pressure as well as diverting blood away from the gastrointestinal system. The chemical function of the adrenal glands can be disrupted, including improper amounts of adrenaline, epinephrine, and nor-epinephrine being released. Over time this imbalance can wreak havoc on an individual’s health. In addition, improper nerve and muscle function can occur leading to tension and misalignment of the spinal column.
Chiropractic doctors have many effective tools to treat stress and anxiety. By treating the spinal column, chiropractors can assist their patients to better cope with stress. Chiropractic adjustments help calm the nervous system, decrees muscle spasms, and increases the circulation of blood and oxygen. While it’s difficult to entirely get rid of anxiety, routine chiropractic treatment can assist negate some of its results and protect against long-term damages to the body.
#stress #anxiety #politics #chiropractic #chiropractor
meditation and stress reduction
It is often difficult to talk to your family and friends about your chronic #pain and discomfort. If someone has never dealt with sciatica they don’t know what you are going through. Remember sciatica is a symptom of a condition not the condition it self always seek professional help to determine the cause of your #Sciatica.
From Spine Health “ How to Describe Your Chronic Sciatica to Friends and Family. No matter how long you’ve dealt with chronic sciatica, it can still be challenging to find the right words to adequately describe your symptoms. Your friends and family may want to help, but they don’t always understand what you’re going through.
#Sleep is good for us we all know that. Many of us struggle making sleep a priority and this may be livable for a few days, but over time when your body doesn’t get enough sleep it increase the likelihood of type two #diabetes, high blood pressure, weight gain, heart disease, #memory problems (short and long Term), concentration difficulties, and increased #stress.
Spine Health has a great article if you want more information.
Well #spine health has come up with a great article to explain this. Drinking #water helps with many health conditions and may even help keep your low back in shape and healthy. Are you getting enough water daily? The recommended daily fluid intake is 3 liters for men and 2.2 liters (roughly 8 cups) for women. See the full Spine Health article for more information and tips on drinking more water.
Weekly Facebook Posts: Great information from Spine health
A #stiffneck is typically characterized by soreness and restricted movement. Find out what causes a stiff neck and what should be done to remedy the situation.
Learn about the symptoms of sacroiliac joint dysfunction—a commonly overlooked cause of #lowerbackpain.
#Chronicpain can make falling asleep a struggle. Avoid these 3 common practices for a more restful night’s sleep.
It is all about the quality of life. Chiropractors can help with neck stiffness, Low back pain and improve quality of sleep here are three great articles from spine health to tell you all about it.
Minimize Back Pain at Work: Six Ways
Lower back pain can throw a major wrench into your busy work day. To help minimize back pain at the office, try incorporating a few of these tips into your workday!
- Wear supportive footwear when standing. Avoid regularly wearing high-heeled shoes, which can affect the body’s center of gravity and negatively impact back support and posture. When standing for long periods of time, propping a leg up on a foot rest, wearing supportive shoe orthotics, or placing a rubber mat on the floor can improve comfort.
- Create ergonomic physical environments and workspaces. Undue strain will be placed on the spine unless the office chair, desk, keyboard, and computer screen, etc., are correctly positioned. Some considerations when creating an ergonomic workspace include choosing the surface height for the desk (standing, sitting, or semi-seated) best for the height of the individual worker and the task to be performed, adjusting the seat of the office chair so that the work surface is “elbow high,” and adjusting the computer screen where the gaze naturally focuses.
- Lift heavy objects correctly. Even if you’re young and strong, you can still injure your lower back if you lift a heavy object incorrectly. When lifting, be sure to bend at the hips—not the low back—and push the chest out, pointing forward. In this position, the back muscles will be used most effectively for maintaining good posture, as they are designed to do. The knees will also bend automatically so the muscles of the legs and hips will produce the power for lifting correctly.
- Practice good posture. Spending most the day sitting down can cause us to develop poor habits like sitting on the edge of the chair or hunching forward toward the computer screen. These poor posture habits overstretch your spinal ligaments and place stress on back muscles and spinal discs. To help minimize back pain, sit with your shoulders tall and your head level over your spine. Try to keep your back flush against your office chair, and place your feet flat against the floor. If you can’t reach the floor, a footrest is a great option. Avoid clenching your muscles or adopting an unnatural, stiff posture. The structures in the spine are designed for movement and any limitation in motion over a long period creates more pain and a cycle of less motion and more pain.
- Apply cold therapy. If your lower back pain flares-up at work, cold therapy may promptly alleviate your symptoms with minimal side effects. The benefits of cold therapy include reducing inflammation, numbing sore tissues, and decreasing tissue damage from injury. There are numerous discreet options for achieving these benefits, including disposable cold packs and a frozen water bottle. Just be sure to avoid direct contact between the cold source and your skin to prevent ice burn and limit the application of cold therapy to 20 minutes at a time.
- Speak with your boss. If you find that your pain is interfering with your day-to-day responsibilities, alert your boss of the situation. She or he may be able to provide you with special accommodations, such as an ergonomic chair or adjusted duties that require less sitting throughout the day. All the above advice may not completely solve your back-pain problems at the office, but it may can provide a little relief throughout the day.
Trusted Information for #BackPain: Spine Health
If you ever wanted to under stand how neck injuries can affect your life spine health just put out a great article on the spinal nerves and what they affect. It is a great way to understand your spinal injures better. The more you understand the better you can manage your condition. Chiropractors have a high success level of removing mechanical impact to these nerves restoring your quality of life. Consult with your #chiropractor today.
<img src=”http://b.scorecardresearch.com/p?c1=2&c2=18767362&cv=2.0&cj=1″ /> Cervical Nerves In addition to the seven cervical vertebrae, cervical anatomy features eight cervical nerve roots (C1-C8) that branch from the spinal cord and control motor and sensory abilities for different parts of the body
meditation and stress reduction
Watch this short video from spine health on sleep. It highlights many of the suggestions I give to my patients about sleeping and sleeping with low back and neck pain. Sleep is one of the most important activities and is not just to rest the body but also to rejuvenate the mind. he suggestion about keeping cool is a good one and also finding 15 min. a day to relax and deal with your stress.
Go to Spine-Health.com to view the video
Stress can often be hard to manage and it can be the cause of your neck and back pain or it can magnify your neck or back pain. “Stress-induced neck pain is defined as pain that is either triggered or worsened by psychological or emotional factors.” Spine Health gives Six tips for dealing with stress induced neck pain in there article.
<img src=”http://b.scorecardresearch.com/p?c1=2&c2=18767362&cv=2.0&cj=1″ /> How to Relieve Neck Pain Caused by Stress
The latest in a series of how technology can lead to pain when body Bio-mechanics are not properly understood. Spine-Health has a great article on Text Neck and how to avoid Pokémon Go injuries. First it was how we read our books, then it was our computer monitors and their locations, and now it is our smart phones. It just goes to show you that proper spinal hygiene is an ongoing responsibility see your chiropractor today.
By: Dr. Paul R. Mahler
read an in-depth article at Spine-Health
See all our posts on cold laser
Read this full article at Spine-Health
Cold Laser Therapy or Low Level Laser Therapy (LLLT) is a treatment that utilizes specific wavelengths of light to interact with tissue and is thought to help accelerate the healing process. It can be used on patients who suffer from a variety of acute and chronic conditions in order to help eliminate pain, swelling, reduce spasms and increase functionality.
From Spine-Health: Read More on their site
“Along with specific back exercises, aerobic exercise that increases the heart rate for a sustained period is very beneficial for helping back problems. Aerobic exercise increases the flow of blood and nutrients to back structures which supports healing, and can decrease the stiffness in the back and joints that lead to back pain. While many patients with back pain are able to participate in vigorous exercise like running or step aerobics, others find it easier to engage in low-impact exercise, which does not jar the spine.”
The symptoms of sciatica are present at the most inconvenient times. Sciatic doesn’t care if you need to sleep or drive to work. It can create a burning in the leg pins and needles in the foot or just pain. You are often glad just to fall asleep for a few minutes.
There are several ways that you may find relief from the symptoms and fall asleep and stay asleep.
1: Bend your knees slightly. When your sciatica flairs up often one of the five nerves are being compressed and this may take the pressure off of the nerve by relieving the pressure on the lumbar discs. Try different positions and often a pillow under the knees may help.
2: Sometimes a warm bath before bed may help by promoting the production of endorphins which fight pain. I caution you here if he pains gets worse or returns within an hour the bath is increasing inflammation and ice may work better for you discontinue the warm baths.
3: Consider ditching the box spring. The box spring is often the worst part of your mattress system. You can test this out by putting the mattress on the floor for a week or more and if this improves your sleep invest in a platform bed frame. You will often find this more supportive and I recommend it to most of my patients.
By: Dr. Paul R. Mahler
Mahler Family #Chiropractic Center
For more information, also visit: http://www.spine-health.com
#Headaches are a major problem for many patients but they can often be very complex in ther cause and cure. They are often managed with over the counter medications but this is not allways the best way to deal with chronic or prolonged headaches. Many of your chronic headaches often have bio-mechanical causes stemming from the musculo-skeletal system and these headaches are often best controlled and treated through simple gentle chiropractic care .
One such headache may be caused by bone spurs in the neck.
Over 50% of patients age of 60 and over have osteophytes also known as bone spurs, somewhere in their bodies. Osteophytes in the spine are more common the older we get and may not be a cause for concern unless they result in pain or neurological symptoms.
Cervical osteophytes or bone spurs that grow on any of the vertebra in cervical spine, also referred to as the neck. may be found from the 7th cervical vertebra to the base of the skull to the base of the neck (C1 – C7 vertebrae). It is these osteophytes that may be responsible for a patients headaches.
To find out more read the article on spine health, Cervical Osteophytes: bone spurs in the neck.